It is still not clear why this devastating fire occurred in this beautiful old church.
The fact is, however, that there were several possibilities that could trigger the fire:
On the one hand, it has been proven that the workers involved in the renovation had violated the strict smoking ban. Allegedly 7 cigarette butts were found at the scene of the crime.
Secondly, according to the newspaper Le Canard Enchaîné, the fire brigade was not called until 35 minutes after the first fire alarm.
And another important reason for a fire is certainly the fact that the clergy, in violation of all safety regulations, had electrical striking mechanisms for several bells installed in the crossing tower.
The laying of electrical cables was strictly forbidden in the area of the ancient dry beams from the 13th century due to the danger of short circuits.
Unfortunately, such catastrophes occur again and again because people carelessly deal with the so important fire protection regulations.
The subject of fire by cigarettes and fire by short circuits will be discussed again in separate articles.